July 25, 2016
Industrial Designer, Principal of LUUR, DIY Furniture Guy
He's not multi-disciplinary, he's trans-disciplinary. One day he's designing, the next he's sanding.
Christopher Stuart is an artist and designer based in Carmel, IN. His personal work explores the area between art and design, challenging the idea of function. He received his BFA in Furniture Design from Herron School of Art & Design. Chris is also the founder and principal of LUUR, a transdisciplinary design studio and brand, and author of DIY Furniture 1 & DIY Furniture 2, published by Laurence King.
You can follow his studio on Twitter here.
In this episode, we discuss:
- His origin story as a designer.
- How he defines "transdisciplinary," and why he chose to build a transdisciplinary design studio.
- His newest obsession, furniture design, and why he loves the DIY furniture movement.
Mentioned in This Episode
- LUUR Design
- New York Design Week Article - New York Times
- Thomson Consumer Electronics
- Herron School of Art
- North South Bracelets
- Richard Serra
Our theme music is a track from Kazi Jo called, "Matchbox Girl."